Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Hardware Discussion
 CyberPower : Technical Issues & Information : Hardware Discussion
Message Icon Topic: amd vs intel Post Reply Post New Topic
craig1307
Passed QC
Passed QC

Online Status: Offline
Quote craig1307 Replybullet Topic: amd vs intel
    Posted: 03/Apr/2012 at 19:22
hey guys first post here woot!!!

Ive receently needed to upgrade my pc as my old old athlon 3700 recentley died on me sad times that processor lasted me nearly 8 years....

as ive had gaming laptops the past 4/5 years ive not really needed the desktop which is why i have the dilema of what processor to choose...

the rig will be used for gaming as im a hard core gamer on bf and on eve online, i will also be frapsing alot so im looking at a sli/xfire machine..

the problem is which processor do i choose? the athlon i had previously lasted me for ever but are they that far out of touch with the new intel processors?? the machine will be overclocked to max settings and also be purchasing the cyberpower advanced cooling system to keep it nice and cool and maxing out the fans needed so temp isnt a problem..

im open for input and i have about 1800-1900 to spend on the machine

cheers in advanced

craig
IP IP Logged
Cyber_Tech
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

*Tamed Overclocker*

Quote Cyber_Tech Replybullet Posted: 03/Apr/2012 at 19:41
Since you want to be able to run SLI or CFX there's no contest really. Intel consistently out performs AMD in multi GPU scaling. Have a look at our results in 3DMark11 (Benchmark Central) for examples. Basically on Intel 95-100% improvement is possible with a second card, on AMD not so. For example I tested 2xGTX590 on AMD 8150@4.5GHz. It's performance was consistent with GTX580 SLI on an Intel 2500K at the same clock speed. At this speed and under full load the Intel will run at 80-90W while the AMD may push past 150W thus requiring stronger and more expensive motherboards and power supplies.

So for you Intel is a better option. For a system with a single GPU the case against AMD is weaker and mostly comes down to brand loyalty.

Note: the forums aren't an official support route, but we'll do our best.

If you have a fault please contact our official support line: 0844-371-8787 or email support@cyberpowersystem.co.uk
IP IP Logged
craig1307
Passed QC
Passed QC

Quote craig1307 Replybullet Posted: 03/Apr/2012 at 20:07
Originally posted by Cyber_Tech

Since you want to be able to run SLI or CFX there's no contest really. Intel consistently out performs AMD in multi GPU scaling. Have a look at our results in 3DMark11 (Benchmark Central) for examples. Basically on Intel 95-100% improvement is possible with a second card, on AMD not so. For example I tested 2xGTX590 on AMD 8150@4.5GHz. It's performance was consistent with GTX580 SLI on an Intel 2500K at the same clock speed. At this speed and under full load the Intel will run at 80-90W while the AMD may push past 150W thus requiring stronger and more expensive motherboards and power supplies.

So for you Intel is a better option. For a system with a single GPU the case against AMD is weaker and mostly comes down to brand loyalty.

ok so which would be the better intel processor to go for i have heard excellent things for the I5 2500k but is it worth spending the extra on the i7?

also whats the best ram to go for these days ?? im looking at the new zeus ranges as they seem pretty impressive but is there any or pc on the website you would recommend? within my price range?
IP IP Logged
Cyber_Tech
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

*Tamed Overclocker*

Quote Cyber_Tech Replybullet Posted: 03/Apr/2012 at 20:51
The 'Gamers Choice' is now the i5 2550K. For most people you'll get more benefit from spending the saving from dropping from the 2600/2700K on a sound card, better graphics or a bigger SSD. And if you are going to go for the i7 there a strong argument to get the 3820 instead for greater flexibility, PCI-E bandwidth and memory bandwidth and the possibility of 8-Core Ivy-Bridge E CPUs in about a years time for the true power user.

Since you mention Fraps it's worth using a secondary volume for recording and having your games and OS on an SSD.

Taking this into account I've specified the following build:

i7 2550K XXX OC (4.5GHz Typical)
Large Watercooling
Corsair 650D Chassis
8GB DDR3 1600MHz
128GB Crucial M4
2TB For recording and mass storage
2x7870
Creative Titanium Sound card

£1991 inc VAT

Note: the forums aren't an official support route, but we'll do our best.

If you have a fault please contact our official support line: 0844-371-8787 or email support@cyberpowersystem.co.uk
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version